NWCFL Matchday Review 2019/20 #7

Sun 25th August 2019 | Match Reviews
By Craig Kendall

Another weekend's action to be reviewed and this one kicked off on Friday night as 51 spectators saw a 21st-minute penalty under the lights from Sam Houghton seal a vital one-nil win for Barnton as they hosted Cheadle Town at Townfield.

(Main photograph by Paul Moran @paulmoran62)

Just over 17 hours later and the remaining of the NWCFL weekend fixtures all started. Thirteen of our sides competed in the Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round, with four gaining victories, five fixtures needing replays and three sides bowed out of the competition.

The biggest victors of the afternoon were 1874 Northwich as they hit NCEL Premier Division side Handsworth for six, with Scott McGowen netting four goals - two in each half - for Paul Bowyer and Wayne Goodison's side.

Whitchurch Alport saw off Coleshill Town three-nil - Alex Hughes, Dylan Bath and Joe Cuff netting the goals for Luke Goddards side, whilst Northwich Victoria came from behind in added time to grab a late, late two-one victory against Prescot Cables - Thomas Killfin netting an injury-time brace, and Irlam earned a place in the next round with a three-two win over Step Four side Stocksbridge Park Steels - Jordan Southworth, Marcus Perry and Jordan Buckley all finding the back of the net.

The all NWCFL tie between Charnock Richard and Longridge Town ended in a one-all draw with 234 fans watching on. A similar scenario at Radcliffe as they will have to do it all again against NWCFL Premier Division side Runcorn Town, the game-ending goalless, whilst Ramsbottom United and Winsford United ended three-a-piece.

Stalybridge Celtic and West Didsbury & Chorlton fought out a tough game but neither side could find the back of the net, meaning a replay at The Recreation Ground and Padiham earnt a late draw against Northern Premier League side Marine.

However, it was the end of the line for Burscough who were defeated two-nil at Trafford, whilst Litherland REMYCA lost two-one at Sheffield FC and last season's NWCFL Premier Division champions City of Liverpool beat Skelmersdale United  with the 90th minute Jack Hazlehurst finish.

In the First Division North, the biggest winners of the day were AFC Liverpool who thrashed Daisy Hill seven-one, with Callum Schorah coming away with the match ball netting a superb hat-trick for Chris Anderson's side. The win has elevated the Merseyside team up to third in the standings.

Fellow high scorers were league leaders Lower Breck, as they dispatched Chadderton five-one with five different scorers on the team sheet - much to their manager's delight.

Emley AFC moved up to sixth in their first season in the NWCFL, with a two-nil win away at Garstang.

Golcar United and Cleator Moor Celtic saw their game end one-a-piece, whilst a high scoring draw occurred at Holker Old Boys as they drew three-all with second place Ashton Town, with Town equalising with just a few minutes remaining to set up a grandstand finish.

Prestwich Heys moved to seventh in the table with a two-nil win over Atherton LR, whilst St Helens Town kept up their home form, beating AFC Blackpool four-two, Neil Weaver and Jordan Jones both bagging a brace.

Brent Peter's celebrated Bacup Borough's first win of the season with a narrow one-nil victory over fellow strugglers Pilkington.

AFC Darwen recorded their third win from five games with a two-one victory over 18th-placed Steeton.

Whilst Nelson and Shelley battled out a goalless draw in front of 55 spectators. 

Finally, in the First Division South, the two biggest results of the day came from Vauxhall Motors and FC Oswestry Town's games on a hot and humid afternoon. Both were unbeaten before a ball was kicked and Motors continued their superb form making it six wins from six with a two-nil win over Alsager Town, but Matt Burton's Oswestry fell to a surprising four-nil defeat away at Sandbach United - William Goodwin bagging a hat-trick which elevated Andrew Hockenhull's side to eighth in the standings.

A slender one-nil win for Wythenshawe Amateurs over Abbey Hulton United saw them leap-frog their opponents after their victory.

Eccleshall ran out four-one winners over Abbey Hey, whilst Maine Road won by the same scoreline against Cheadle Heath Nomads, whilst Stockport Town won three-two away at mid-table St Martins - coming from behind, Jesurum Uchebulam netting a 77th-minute winning penalty.

Stone Old Alleynians kept their unbeaten home run going as David Ablewhite netted four second-half goals versus bottom side Ellesmere Rangers.

Whilst a superbly entertaining game between Cammell Laird 1907 and Wythenshawe Town ended three-three with 138 spectators enthralled to the bitter end.

And that concludes another exciting weekend of action. Want some more I hear you ask?! You will not have to wait long at all, as all 60 of our sides are back in action on Bank Holiday Monday for a terrific afternoon's entertainment.

Our Sponsors & Partners

Our Sponsors & Partners