NWCFL Matchday Review 2019/20 #12

Sun 15th September 2019 | Match Reviews
By Craig Kendall

It was a glorious afternoon for our NWCFL sides as the Buildbase FA Vase returned for the 2nd Qualifying Round, alongside action from all three leagues. 16 NWCFL sides won through to the next round, whilst one will have to be replayed. 

There where some excellent performances up and down the region from NWCFL sides, and we start the round-up at Coventry Sphinx, as Hanley Town secured a famous 5-4 win with Timothy Barass bagging a 97th-minute winner sparking superb scenes.

An epic game at Harworth Park saw Maine Road head back down the M62 delighted after a 6-4 win at Hall Road Rangers. Whilst Ashton Athletic dispatched NCEL side Liversedge 5-1. 

Elsewhere, a Carl Grimshaw hat-trick gifted  Charnock Richard a 3-2 win over fellow NWCFL-side Prestwich Heys, whilst Rylands came from behind against Rossington Main - winning 4-2, Jay White taking home the match ball.

Abbey Hey defeated Stockport Town 3-1, meanwhile, Steve Jones was on hand to guide Whitchurch Alport to a 4-1 win over Nuneaton Griff - bagging three goals. And Vauxhall Motors defeat fellow NWCFL side Cheadle Heath Nomads 2-1 at the ProSeal Stadium.

Sandbach United booked a place in the next round with a 3-0 win away at Ashby Ivanhoe, whilst Chadderton left it late to beat Brigg Town 3-2 - James Dwyer netting the winner with five minutes to go. Meanwhile an early Danny Smith goal gift Padiham a slender 1-0 win away at Sunderland West End. 

Whilst Cheadle Town strolled to a 4-0 win against NCEL bottom side East Hull and Longridge Town defeated AFC Blackpool 3-1 - Paul Turner grabbing a brace.

Lower Breck fought back from an early setback to eventually defeat Pilkington 4-3 - the winner coming in injury-time. And a late Kris Holt goal for West Didsbury & Chorlton was the only goal of the afternoon at Runcorn Town to secure the win.

Abbey Hulton United and Alsager Town will have to battle out once again as they drew 2-2 after extra-time. The game was 1-1 at 90 minutes but two late goals in each half of extra-time in front of 55 fans meant a replay, whilst Barnoldswick Town had to come from two-down against Northallerton and eventually won 3-2.

Unfortunately, there were defeats for Cleator Moore Celtic - losing 2-0 to Crook Town, FC Oswestry Town - losing 3-2 to Gresley, Steeton - losing 3-2 to Seaham Red Star and Squires Gate who fell to a 4-1 defeat to West Allotment Celtic. Lastly, Wythenshawe Amateurs was defeated by NCEL outfit Selby Town 3-1 with 205 fans watching.

Only one game took place in the NWCFL Premier Division as Avro stunned Congleton Town - winning 5-1 and moving up to fourth in the standings.

In the First Division North, there where draws for Golar United and Bacup Borough who battled out a superb 3-3 draw - with two goals coming in the final minutes for Brent Peters side to draw level. And Shelley and Atherton LR had to settle for a point-a-piece after a 1-1 draw.

AFC Liverpool moved up to fourth in the table following their 4-1 victory over Nelson.

And finally, in the NWCFL First Division South, Cammell Laird 1907 defeated Eccleshall 4-2 - a brace-a-piece for Luke Blondel and Kyle Sambor whilst Barnton come from behind to defeat St Martins - a result which leaves them sixth.

In just over 48 hours, the action returns to the NWCFL with the first of six days of continuous footballing action - what a feast!

(Main photograph by Mark Percy - showing action from Rylands 4-2 win over NCEL outfit Rossington Main.)

Our Sponsors & Partners

Our Sponsors & Partners