NWCFL Matchday Review 2019/20 #52

Fri 21st February 2020 | Match Reviews
By Craig Kendall

After the weekend's lashing of wind and rain put pay to almost all the fixtures, it was like groundhog day for the NWCFL as six games went ahead.

On Monday evening, 1874 Northwich advanced to the Semi-Finals of the Macron Cup after they dispatched Maine Road in their re-arranged game 4-0. All four goals came in the second half as 144 fans witnessed Scott McGowen open the scoring in the 72nd minute. Jake Parker bagged a seven-minute brace, followed by Taylor Kennerley adding cream to the top of the cake in injury-time.

24 hours later Runcorn Town secured a place in the Semi-Final of the Macron Cup as they beat Ashton Athletic 4-2 on penalties after a 2-2 draw. Ashton was heading for a 2-1 win going into second-half added time, but just as the 71 fans were fumbling for their car keys, Craig Cairns popped up for his second of the game sending the fixture all the way to settled from 12-yards.

In the First Division North, Atherton LR moved up to 15th in the tables following a 2-0 victory over AFC Liverpool, whilst Prestwich Heys closed the gap to the promotion places to eight points following their 3-1 victory against Garstang.

Wythenshawe Town moved into the promotion places in the First Division South as they swept aside Cheadle Heath Nomads 5-0. 115 spectators saw Brad Bryne bag a brace, whilst Liam Crellin-Myers, Jerome Wright and Matthew Bryan also scored for James Kinsey's side.

Wednesday saw a complete washout with all three games called off.

Whilst on Thursday evening an injury-time Luke Allen equaliser for Ashton Town saw them draw 2-2 away at AFC Darwen. 

The action returns on Saturday when there's action in the Macron Cup Quarter-Finals, NWCFL Premier Division, NWCFL First Division North and NWCFL First Division South.

The main photograph is from Bill Shepherd from the game between Wythenshawe Town and Cheadle Heath Nomads.

Our Sponsors & Partners

Our Sponsors & Partners