Weekend round up - Saturday 13th April 2019

Sun 14th April 2019 | General
By Ian Templeman

As we reach the business end of the season, there were significant results all around the league across the three divisions, affecting promotion and relegation issues.

The Premier Division title race looks like it could go right to the wire, after leaders City of Liverpool were held to a 1-1 draw at Whitchurch Alport and Bootle narrowed the gap at the top between themselves and the Purps to just three points with their 5-0 win at Charnock Richard.

It could have been worse for City of Liverpool as they were trailing to an Alex Hughes goal for Alport until 15 minutes from time, when John McGrath converted a penalty to rescue a point.

Bootle, meanwhile, were having an easier time at Mossie Park, building a two goal lead by half time thanks to Carl Peers and Ryan Cox, and another from Peers and further goals from Kieran Halligan and Steven Jones rounded off a good afternoon for the Bucks.

The game between the top two on Easter Monday could turn out to be a title decider.

Congleton Town maintained their third place position with a first half goal from Dean Warburton earning them a 1-0 win at Burscough, and Northwich Victoria stay fourth despite being held to a goalless draw at home to Ashton Athletic

Runcorn Town narrowed the gap between themselves and Vics to two points with a 1-0 win over Litherland REMYCA at the Pavilions. Carl Rodgers struck the only goal of the game in the second minute.

The game between the two teams immediately above the relegation zone, Winsford United and Hanley Town, turned out to be a exciting affair, with Winsford coming from three goals down to earn a 3-3 draw.

Two goals from Josh Thorpe and one from Chris Boast had Hanley three up after 38 minutes, but Sam Madeley reduced the arrears on the stroke of half time, and it was game on when David Short converted a penalty for the Blues four minutes into the second half.

An equaliser from Perry Bircumshaw 14 minutes from time ensured a point apiece, and both sides are now four points above West Didsbury & Chorlton in the relegation zone.

Padiham are two points above both Winsford and Hanley after being held to a 2-2 draw at home to Squires Gate, with Ben Hoskin rescuing a point with a penalty in the 72nd minute.

Elsewhere, Jordan Buckley was on target for Irlam in the 1-0 win over 1874 Northwich, and Craig Mitchell struck the decisive goal in Silsden's 2-1 win at Abbey Hey.

The title race in the First Division North also took an interesting turn, with leaders Longridge Town losing 3-0 at Lower Breck, and nearest challengers Avro took the chance to narrow the gap at the top with a 3-2 win over Prestwich Heys.

Connor Roberts and Stephen Milne put Breck two up by half time and Mick Douglas added a third after the break.

Meanwhile, there was an explosive start to Avro's clash with Prestwich Heys, all the goals coming in the opening 25 minutes.

Joseph Rathbone twice and namesake Sam were on target for Avro while Daniel White and Carl Fitton got the goals for Heys.

Longridge now lead Avro by five points, but Avro have two games in hand.

Lower Breck stay in third place, on goal difference ahead of AFC Liverpool who won 1-0 at AFC Darwen thanks to a 39th minute from Rhys Hardacre.

At the bottom of the table, Atherton LR's 3-0 home defeat to Cleator Moor Celtic means that LR will definitely finish in a relegation position, a hat trick from Callum Birdshall doing the damage.

But LR could still finish above Daisy Hill, who lost 2-1 at home to Carlisle City with a stoppage time winner from Jordan Palmer sealing the victory for the visitors.

Holker Old Boys are not quite out of trouble at the bottom after going down 2-1 at Nelson, with Gareth Hill scoring both goals for the Admirals, and those results mean that St Helens Town are definitely safe despite going down 1-0 to a Tom Entwisle penalty at Garstang.

Elsewhere Anthony Hall's goal of the season helped Bacup Borough to a 2-0 win at Steeton, and AFC Blackpool and Chadderton shared a goalless draw.

The First Division South is still headed by Rylands, whose 1-0 defeat of Cammell Laird 1907 was earned thanks to a Liam Moran goal two minutes before half time.

Vauxhall Motors moved into second place after a 3-0 home win over Maine Road, second half goals from Thomas Mitchell, Michael Burkey and an own goal earning the win.

Wythenshawe Town are third after two goals from Ben Steer helped them to a 4-0 win at New Mills, and local rivals Wythenshawe Amateurs dropped to fourth place after a remarkable 5-4 home defeat to Ellesmere Rangers.

Two goals apiece from Aaron Davies and Adam Davies, and another from William Wells, had established a 5-1 lead for Rangers with 16 minutes left, but a late rally from the Ammies saw Timothy Kinsella score his second of the game and Christopher Howard added two more in the final five minutes.

Stone Old Alleynians drop down into fifth place after losing 2-1 at Abbey Hulton United, Lee Cropper and Josh Tune on target for Abbey before Jack Tomlinson reduced the arrears before half time.

There were away wins for Stockport Town, with George Blackwell scoring the decisive goal in the 2-1 win at Sandbach United, and for Eccleshall whose 4-0 win at Stone Dominoes was achieved thanks to gaols from Lewis Dunn, Jordan Benton, David Neligwa and Dan Needham.

Elsewhere, Stephen Kirby and Andrew Simpson scored in Cheadle Heath Nomads' 2-0 win over Alsager Town, and FC Oswestry Town shared a goalless draw with Barnton.

Our Sponsors & Partners

Our Sponsors & Partners