Weekend round up - w/e Saturday 9th February 2019

Sun 10th February 2019 | General
By Ian Templeman

Games across all three divisions and two cup competitions provided the usual mix of talking points on Saturday.

The headline game was at the Ambitek Stadium, but Irlam's interest in the Buildbase FA Vase ended at the 5th Round stage with a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Chertsey Town, from the Cherry Red Records Combined Counties League.

A match report on the game can be read by clicking here.

Two ties in the First Division Cup Quarter Finals went ahead, and Avro booked their place in the last four with a 2-1 win at home to Garstang.

They left it late though, with goals from Louis Potts and Michael Norton in the final 11 minutes seeing them through to victory.

In the other tie take place 2016-17 finalists Sandbach United moved into the semis with a 3-1 win at Cheadle Heath Nomads.

Like the game at Avro, Sandbach were trailing with 11 minutes remaining after Richard Tindall had put nomads ahead, but an own goal, and strikes from Aidan Haughton and Harry Cain ensured victory for the visitors.

Four games took place in the Premier Division, with the standout result being Runcorn Town's 2-1 defeat of City of Liverpool at the Pavilions.

All the goals came in the opening 15 minutes, with Jamie McDonald opening the scoring for the Purps before Stephen Wainwright and Kevin Exell struck for Town, giving new manager Paul McManus victory over the league leaders in his first game in charge.

The main beneficiaries of that result were Bootle, who are now eight points behind City of Liverpool with a game in hand, after their 2-1 home win over Winsford United. Ryan Cox and Ben Cartwright were on target for the Bucks.

Te other two games in the division ended in away wins, with Joel Brownhill's goal ensuring that Northwich Victoria kept up their good run with a 1-0 win at Abbey Hey, and Silsden edged past Squires Gate by the odd goal in seven after a thriller at the Brian Addison Stadium.

It was 3-3 at half time, and Aidan Kirby struck the winner for Silsden with 20 minutes remaining.

There were four games in the First Division North, and Longridge Town kept up the pace at the top of the table with a 2-1 win at Prestwich Heys, Brian McKenna and Jay Hart on target for Town..

At the bottom of the table, second bottom Daisy Hill narrowed the gap on Holker Old Boys by picking up a point in a 2-2 draw with Steeton as Holker were losing 2-0 at home to Shelley.

It could have been better for Daisy though, as Ashley Stott and Lewis Wilkinson had them 2-1 ahead as the game moved into stoppage time, but Ben Clarkson rescued a point for Steeton with his second goal of the game.

Atherton LR are now further adrift at the bottom after going down 7-1 at home to Lower Breck, for whom six different scorers got on the scoresheet.

In the First Division South, Rylands were the only one of the top four in action, and they extended their lead at the top to four points with a 4-1 win at home to Stockport Town, Stuart Wellstead scoring twice.

Abbey Hulton United remain in fifth place after going down 5-3 at home to Maine Road. It was a remarkable turn around as Abbey led 3-0 after 52 minutes, but a hat trick from Jamie Rowe brought them back level, before goals in the last six minutes from Christy O'Brien and Ben Phillips sealed a fine win for Road.

Liam Crellin-Myers scored twice for Wythenshawe Town in a 4-0 home win over Cheadle Town that keeps them in sixth place, and the highest scorers of the day were St Martins who won 9-1 at home to Stone Dominoes.

Star performer was Saints' Karl Bailey who scored five of the goals.

Elsewhere, Colm Lynch grabbed the decisive goal in Cammell Laird 1907's 1-0 win at Barnton, and Ryan Jones scored twice in FC Oswestry Town's 3-1 win at New Mills.

Our Sponsors & Partners

Our Sponsors & Partners