Review - Week Three Games

Mon 15th August 2022 | Match Reviews
By Martin Fallon

We look back on all the games this weekend in the Premier Division, First Division North and First Division South.


Avro maintaining their perfect start so the season in the Premier Division with a 1-0 victory at home to Lower Breck. Jake Cottrell got the only goal of the game 12 minutes into the second-half, scoring from fully 45 yards with a goal of the season contender. That's four wins from four for them with no goals conceded!

There are out a trio of clubs three points behind Avro, two of those with 100% records. Vauxhall Motors made it three wins from three with a 2-0 victory at Irlam. Jordan Deer and Lewis Buckley both scored in the second-half to give the Motormen the win. Bury AFC have also won all three so far after they beat Congleton town 2-1. Ben Wharton and Louis Gilboy put them two ahead at the break with Tom Pope pulling one back 10 minutes from time.

AFC Liverpool are also on 9 points, but they lost their perfect start after a 3-1 home loss to Northwich Victoria. Harvey Whyte gave Vics the lead on 19 minutes with Tom Douglas levelling on 36 minutes. Whyte restored the lead from the penalty spot 18 minutes from time, with Ryan Jackson securing the win in the last minute.

Further down the table wythenshawe Town and Longridge Town also have 100% records but have only played two games so far. Matthew Bryan hit a hat trick for wythenshawe as they won 3-1 at Kendal Town, Rob Wilson scoring a penalty for the home side. Longridge left it late at Winsford United, with Sam Marshall giving the home side the lead on 33 minutes. Scott Harries levelled with eight minutes to go, with Dean Ing scoring the winner in stoppage time.

West Didsbury and chorlton remain unbeaten on eight points after a 5-2 win over Barnoldswick Town. Dontai Gabidon scored a hat trick for West with Curtis Miller and Liam Delaney also on target. Barlick goals came from Mitchell George and Bradley Knox.

Prestwich Hays have a superb 41 home win against Charnock Richard. They took the lead through Darcy O'Connor on 28 minutes with Ross O'Farrell levelling four minutes later. Connor Berry restored the lead four minutes into the second-half come up with Dylan Fitzgerald adding two more goals to secure the win.

Elsewhere there were two nil away wins for bursco and Squires gate. The Linnets spoiled the party at Padiham's 1000th league game with second half goals from Ashley Ruane and Edward Servuts securing the win. Gate also scored twice in the second half at Litherland REMYCA with Theodore Ball and Nathan Cliffe on target.

The final game came at FC Isle of Man with Sam Houghton putting Ashton Athletic ahead on 33 minutes. Stephen Whitley levelled four minutes before half time, with Lee Gale scoring what proved the winner on 53 minutes.


Pilkington and Chadderton lead the way in the First Division North, both having 100% records from their four games played. Pilkington romped to a 6-1 win at Atherton LR, an own goal putting them on their way 13 minutes into the game. Lewis Ross Thorne levelled on 25 minutes before goals from Adam Gilchrist and Gary Kenny put Pilks in control at the break. Chris Lomax how did the third 8 minutes into the second-half, with late goals from Yacin Amarzou and Bebeto Gomes securing the win.

Chadderton fell behind at Runcorn Town to a Jordan Lorde goal on 25 minutes. A penalty a minute before the break brought them back on level terms with Arron Scholes giving them the win just before the hour.

Euxton villa also have 100% record having played a game less, and they were 3-1 winners at South Liverpool. Patrik Bibby gave Exeter the lead on 11 minutes with Callum Speed doubling the score after half an hour. Mason Nevitt quickly pulled one back for South Liverpool, with Ian Billington securing victory for the away side 20 minutes into the second-half.

Two other unbeaten sides are FC St. Helens and Ilkley Town, with these two sides playing out a goalless draw on Saturday. Ilkley are yet to concede a goal this season. The final unbeaten side is AFC Blackpool, who beat Ashton Town 3-0. Liam Birchall opened the scoring on 19 minutes, with second-half goals from Connor Bishop and Maine Walder securing the win.

That was a thriller at Bacup Borough as they picked up their first victory of the season with a 4-3 win over Nelson. I'm only on goal for Nelson was cancelled out by Lewis-Simon Byrne on 14 minutes. A Jack foster double then put Nelson firmly in control before goals from Jack Hayward and Byrne again brought a 3-3 half time score line. The second-half was quieter with Bacup scoring the only goal of it five minutes from time through Michael Gervin.

Darwen picked up their first win of the season as they beat steeton to 1. Alfie Carmichael open the scoring on 20 minutes with Ethan Hudson-Parker equalising just after the hour. With the game heading for a draw, Rio Wilson-Heyes to hit the winner of minute from time.

Holker Old Boys also picked up their first win of the season by beating Garstang 3-0. Josh Woodend and Tom Dawson made it 2-0 at the break with a Jason Walker penalty securing victory on 53 minutes.

The final game saw Daisy Hill win 1-0 away at Cleator Moor Celtic, Connor J Hughes the goalscorer five minutes into the second-half.


Wythenshawe Amateurs lead the way in the First Division South after making it four successive wins at home to Broxton. After a goalless first half, two goals from Joseph Bevan inside the first eight minutes of the second-half were enough to give Wythenshawe the win.

They lead the table by two points from Ellesmere Rangers who registered a fine 3-0 victory away at Stockport Georgians on Saturday. Callum Graybrook open the scoring on 14 minutes, but we had to wait until the last 20 minutes for further goals when Jack Harris and Ben Davis secured the win.

Stockport Town are third after a 3-0 away win at Camell Laird 1907. Kyle Foley hit the opener 10 minutes before the break, with William Shawcross and Scott McGowan securing victory in the second-half. Ashville are 4th and still unbeaten after a goalless draw at Eccleshall. The home side are the only side in the division yet to concede a goal.

The biggest win of the day, and indeed the season to date, so Abbey Hulton United run out 7-1 winners against Foley Meir. Sam Smedley, Eric Graves and a Liam Robinson penalty saw Abbey in control at the break. By 20 minutes into the second half it was six, with Smedley completing his hat-trick and Matty Ward getting in on the act. Tim Grice pulled one back for the visitors only for Jharrell Williams to add a seventh four minutes from time.

It was a good day for teams on the road with six games ending in away wins. One was Cheadle Town where Pat Davin scored twice in the opening 10 minutes at Stafford Town. Ben wood pulled one back only for Daniel Hewitt to add another just before the break. Further Cheadle goals from Martin Pilkington and Matthew Hanson made it five, with William Bates securing a consolation two minutes into stoppage time.

Abbey Hey picked up a 3-0 away win at Rocester with Jack Tuohy putting them on their way after 15 minutes. Second half goals from Dillon Kirkman and Tuohy again saw the game out for Abbey.

New Mills took a 15th minute lead through Kyle Hawley against Maine Road, only for the visitors to turn things around and take three points. Shaquille Lewys was the hero for Road, equalising on 34 minutes and hitting the winner on 72 minutes.

Barnton picked up their first win of the season as they won 1-0 at Cheadle Heath Nomads, Harvey Sample with the goal. That was also the score line at Sandbach United, with William Booth's 19th minute goal enough to give his side victory against Alsager Town.

Our Sponsors & Partners

Our Sponsors & Partners