Weekend round up - Friday/Saturday/Sunday 6th/7th/8th April 2019

Sun 7th April 2019 | General
By Ian Templeman

City of Liverpool and 1874 Northwich will contest the Macron Cup Final on Saturday 4th May, after both emerged victorious from their semi-final second leg ties at the weekend.

On Friday evening City of Liverpool had their place booked before half time of their game against Avro, having built up a three goal lead to add to their 3-1 win in the first leg.

Craig Cairns twice and Thomas Peterson scored in the opening 35 minutes, and Reece Lyndon grabbed a consolation for Avro in the 68th minute.

In the Saturday game 1874 Northwich won 2-0 at home to Congleton Town, to progress to the final on a 7-0 aggregate. Callum Gardner and Michael Koral scored in the opening nine minutes to set the Greens on the road to victory.

There were two games in the Premier Division on Saturday, both of which had an impact on the relegation battle.

West Didsbury & Chorlton picked up what could turn out to be a vital three points in a 3-2 win at Irlam.

The afternoon began well for West with a Ryan Eiselt penalty and a second goal from Stephen Hall putting them two up, before Jordan Buckley and Matthew Boland levelled for the home side.

But Hall's second goal twenty minutes from time secured the win for West, and although they are still in the relegation zone, they are now just four points from safety.

Padiham remain on the fringes of the relegation zone after going down 2-0 at Silsden. Two goals from Christopher Wademan, one a penalty, in the final 13 minutes earned the Cobbydalers their victory.

On Sunday a last gasp equaliser from Burscough's Luke Gibson earned his side a share of the points in a 2-2 draw at Northwich Victroia.

Robert Doran and Brandon Barski had scored for Vics with Terry Cummings replying for Burscough, and it looked like Vics were in line for the three points until Gibson's late intervention.

The game of the day in the First Division North ended all square, with fourth placed AFC Liverpool holding league leaders Longridge Town to a 1-1 draw.

Jason Hart gave Longridge a 25th minute lead, but Marc Stephens levelled from the penalty spot nine minutes from time to earn the Reds a point.

Lower Breck moved into third place ahead of AFC Liverpool on goal difference following a 4-1 win at Cleator Moor Celtic.

Steven Milne, Paul Mooney and Jonathan Swatton all scored before the half hour to put Breck in control, and an own goal just after the break snuffed any hopes of a home revival although Ryan Hall did pull a goal back.

There was also a 4-1 away win at Little Wembley, with AFC Blackpool getting the better of Nelson in an East v West Lancashire clash, that followed the same scoring pattern as that at Cleator Moor.

Conah Bishop, Jamie Milligan and Ryan White put the visitors three up at the break, and Ben Duffield added a fourth in the 65th minute before Jheeta Taranjeet reduced the arrears for the Admirals.

AFC Darwen remain in sixth place, two points ahead of Carlisle City, after the teams shared a 2-2 draw at the WEC Anchor Ground.

Elliot Pond scored both Darwen goals, while David Renyard did likewise for City.

It's looking grim down in the relegation zone for both Atherton LR and Daisy Hill, and LR remain rooted to the bottom after going down 3-0 at home to St Helens Town.

Liam Diggle scored an early goal for Town, but it wasn't until the final minutes that further goals from Maxim Green and another from Diggle in the final minute made the points safe for St Helens.

Daisy Hill are second bottom of the table, six points from safety with only four games remaining, after going down 6-1 at Steeton.

Nicholas Hepple had opened the scoring for Daisy in the 11th minute, but Sam Rooke and Angus Maney then gave Steeton the lead, before doubles from Ben Clarkson and Jack Richmond rounded off a comfortable win for the Yorkshiremen.

There were six games in the First Division South, and although leaders Rylands didn't play, Wythenshawe Amateurs moved into second place with a 5-2 home win over New Mills on Friday night.

The teams were level at half time with goals from Tim Kinsella and Richard Gresty being cancelled out by a double from Jake Ambrose, but second half goals from William Ahern, David Wright and Patrick O'Brien earned Ammies full points.

Vauxhall Motors moved up into fourth place after a George Hassall goal on 59 minutes sealed a 1-0 win at Abbey Hulton United.

FC Oswestry Town's 3-1 home win over Stockport Town maintained their sixth place position, although they had to come from behind to collect the points.

Kyle Foley's 19th minute opener gave the Lions a half time lead, but Harry Bower levelled for Oswestry three minutes into the second half before two more goals in the last four minutes from Owen Lloyd and David Howarth rounded off the win.

Elsewhere, a stoppage time winner from Christopher Shaw earned Alsager Town a 2-1 win at Cheadle Town, and two goals from Bailey Thompson were the highlight of Cammell Laird 1907's 4-0 win at Eccleshall.

There was a welcome home win for Ellesmere Rangers, whose 2-0 win over Sandbach United was their second home triumph in three games. Adam Davies and William Wells were on target for Rangers, although they remain deep in the relegation zone, ten points from safety with only four games remaining.

Our Sponsors & Partners

Our Sponsors & Partners